Image of moving boxes.

Start/Stop Service

Moving? New to town?

BMU offers electric, water, and wastewater services in Brookings, SD. Garbage and recycling are contracted with the City of Brookings, SD and are included in your monthly utility bill.

A 24-hour notice is required before service can be connected or disconnected. Services can be connected or disconnected during normal business hours, Monday-Friday 8 am-5 pm.

  • Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Applicants must provide at least two of the following: A driver's license or state-issued ID, Social Security number, or Passport number.
  • A deposit may be required to establish residential service.
  • A deposit is required to establish commercial service.
  • A deposit is equal to twice the average of the monthly bill.

New Service Request Application

Utility Service Disconnect Request Form


Visit our frequently asked questions page to find answers for some of our most common questions.