FROST INSTALLATION NOTICE 2023
September 16, 2023
September 15th, 2023
Electricians and Contractors:
Listed below are the frost installation policies for Brookings Municipal Utilities / Swiftel Communications underground electrical/telephone service:
• Applications for underground electrical/telephone service need to be made in early fall before the ground freezes. Services will then be installed in order by the application date. Early application does not guarantee service will be installed before freeze - up.
• The site must be free of all obstacles such as dirt piles, wood piles, equipment and debris. Rough grading shall be completed prior to installation of the service.
• At that time the contractor/owner must provide a location on the home, business or basement, (flags are available at BMU), where the cable can be installed without being destroyed. This location must be provided within 2 working days of the application for prompt installation by the Utility. If checked by the installation crew and no markings were found, the service will then be moved to the back of the list.
• When frost depths prevent Brookings Municipal Utilities crews from exposing existing utilities with hand equipment or BMU equipment cannot cut a trench through frost, the contractor/owner can provide a trench at owner’s expense. Trench must be to BMU Installation Guidelines. BMU will then install conductor in approved trench. BMU’s underground service fees will be charged accordingly.
• Remember BMU must also follow the SD ONE CALL law which means a 48hr. waiting period for all locates to be completed before installation can even be started.
• If the installation is not complete before freeze-up, the contractor may need to use temporary or generator power until spring.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Todd Vander Wal
Electric Construction Supervisor